Friday, December 7, 2012

Tutus for all!

My latest crafting binge has taken me to tulle. I've been making tutus for a month straight! Some for the littles, some for Maddie's dance class and my latest, for our Christmas tree!

That's right, our Christmas tree!

It was so easy, and looks pretty cute if I do say so myself!
Best part?
It took all of 25 minutes.

Here's how I did it:

Step 1: take some ribbon, a thin satin ribbon is what I used, and measure the diameter of the bottom of the tree. Cut it to that length. You may want to cut the ribbon a bit longer so you have some left to tie once you place your tutu around the base of the tree.

Step 2: take a tape measure and measure the length you want from the base of the tree. This determines how long your tree tutu will be.

Step 3: cut several pieces of tulle in your selected colors to the length you measured. (There is an easy way of cutting tulle, I use it for wearable tutus but I didn't do it this time). Take some cardboard and cut it to be the desired length of your tutu. You can then wrap the tulle around the cardboard. Secure each end of the cardboard with rubber bands. Then cut each end! This method creates tulle strips of equal length!

Step 4: take your piece of ribbon and begin to tie the tulle onto the ribbon. I just knotted it to the ribbon. The top part of the knot will be super short, the bottom will be the length of the tutu.
Continue tying knots of tulle to the desired fullness of your tree tutu.

When the tutu reaches the look you want, place it around the base of your tree and tie the ends of the ribbon together.

Viola! A tree tutu :)

No comments:

Post a Comment